In Year 6, the children are offered the chance to visit Ghyll Head.
Ghyll Head is a outdoor education centre run by Manchester City Council in the heafrt of the Lake District near Bowness-on-Windermere.
Year 6 children spend a weekend away from home and live togther in the house at Ghyll Head.
Whilst away the children take part in a number of outdoor activities led by Ghyll Head’s highly qualified instructors.
Some of the activities the children do are:
- kayaking across Lake Windermere;
- going underground and exploring the tunnels of old slate mine;
- zip-wiring across the grounds of the house;
- gill scrambling up a small stream;
- hiking up one of the may hills in the surrounding area.
As well as this exciting acitivities the children also learn how to look after themself in the house including making their bed, setting the tables for meals and washing up after they have eaten.